OUR SCHOOL’S CORE VALUE
Our staff, community, and students will be encouraged to model and value the following:
- Perseverance and success
- A positive attitude
- Honesty/pono and sense of humour
- Caring for our environment
- Appreciation of diversity
OUR SCHOOL'S KEY COMPETENCIES
Through our school programmes foster and develop:
- Higher level thinking
- Creativity and inquisitive attitude
- Problem solving skills
- Reflection and review of self and others
- Use of logic and common sense
- Use and application of knowledge
Using Language, Symbols & Text:
- Competence in literacy and numeracy
- Good communication skills especially oral
- Confidence in ICT
- Motivation to learn
- Confidence, self esteem/mana
- Ability to make good choices
- Leadership skills
- Goal setting
- Resilience - learn from our mistakes
- Time management and organisational skills
Relating to Others:
- Ability to work and play positively with others
- Understand others' feelings and points of view
- Aware of and accept difference and diversity
- Social skills – manners, politeness, respect
Participating and Contributing:
- A sense of belonging/whakapapa
- Work together in a supportive whanau environment
- Sportsmanship – know when to compete or cooperate
- Participate fully
OUR SCHOOL’S GOALS
CURRICULUM CONTENT AND DELIVERY:
- • To ensure all students access quality learning programmes to best meet their individual skills and levels in accordance with the NZ curriculum (particularly in literacy & numeracy).
- • To incorporate a broad range of realistic learning context that expose students to a variety of real experiences and develop an understanding of the wider community (including global), and the environment.
- • To provide opportunities that develop a love of learning, a sense of fun and challenge thinking.
- • To provide a variety of teaching & learning strategies that promote inquiry learning, co-operative learning, cater for different learning styles and develop higher level thinking & research skills.
- • To incorporate cultural diversity and values into our programme and recognise the unique position of Maori culture within our school and the wider community.
- • For e-learning to be a natural part our our teaching & learning programmes.
STUDENT PROGRESS AND ACHIEVEMENT:
- • To ensure all students (including Maori an Priority learners) have their progress & achievement regularly monitored & reported on each year, particularly in the areas of literacy and numeracy.
- • To expect students to work at or above their expected levels in literacy and numeracy.
- • To ensure students with special needs are individually monitored and catered for within the resources of the school.
- • To ensure students with special abilities are provided with opportunities for extension within classrooms using differentiated learning, higher level thinking and identified programmes met within the resources of the school.
- • To guide students to build on their knowledge, scaffold and make connections through effective feedback & forward.
- • To provide staff development that fosters high expectations and quality teaching & learning programmes
- • To encourage and promote all staff to continually develop & refine their knowledge of pedagogy through staff development and teaching as inquiry.
- • To encourage all staff to model the school values and promote learning positively.
- • To work in a consultative, collaborative and co-operative team environment.
PROPERTY AND FINANCE:
- • To manage and maintain a pleasant, safe and healthy environment that we can be proud of.
- • To provide facilities and modern learning environments that meet the needs of our school curriculum.
- • To utilise resources to support learning and curriculum.
- • To include regular consultation with Board, Staff, Parents, Students and Community, including the Maori Community, to develop direction and development for the school.
- • To foster and maintain our rural school focus and programmes.
- • To foster and promote our community knowing one another.
- • Through the Board and community working together meet the requirements of the National Guidelines and National priorities.